Recently, UK officials have opened new post-study work visas for international students allowing them to stay in the UK after completing their graduation or study course for work.
Indian or International graduate students can now avail two-year post-study work visa as per the UK authorities. Prime Minister Boris Johnson, reinstated the new immigration rule for all the international students looking forward to studying abroad in the UK. Earlier, any student pursuing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in UK top universities was permitted to continue the stay only four months after completing the study course. But with the new update, if you are studying in 27 universities as part of the pilot scheme, you are eligible to stay back for six months.
In 2020-21, many international students can benefit and avail of the new immigration rule. This new rule helps candidates grab new work opportunities for two years. There is no limit as to how many students can apply for the newly launched graduate route visa.
Earlier in 2012, the former British Prime Minister Theresa rejected the scheme making the UK a less attractive country to opt for international students. The decision also resulted in the fall of students (Indian) looking forward to pursuing higher studies from the UK. As per the stats, there was a decline in Indian Students from 51,218 in 2010 – 2011 to 22,757 in 2011-2012.
However, in the year 2017-18 saw a rise in the count to 21,881 in the same year. The new scheme also considered upgrading the visa process for applicants and making efforts to support student employment in the coming years.
The step was taken not only to benefit international students but also to help the UK improve economically. Education Minister Gavin Williamson stated, “The vital contribution international students make to our country and universities is both cultural and economic. Their presence benefits Britain, which is why we have increased the period these students can remain in the UK after their studies.”
Graduate Route: Everything you need to know
The Graduate Route is a newly introduced scheme for international students graduating in summer 2021 or later. The post-study work visa helps these students to stay in the foreign country and further work in the UK for around two years after completing their course.
Firstly, announced on September 2019, later on, October 2019. The Graduate Route scheme is in process and is expected to be published around May or June this year. If you are looking forward to Graduate Route, make sure you know that until the Immigration Rules are published, there is no reliable information on Graduate Route. Lately, the officials were working on the design and implementation of the whole new immigration system. Expected to come into force by January 2021, but it is not possible before April 2021.
- International students with a track record of compliance who have completed a degree at the undergraduate level or above at a higher education institution are eligible for the scheme.
- For two years, the scheme permits only the successful applicants to stay or work in any sector or any level in the UK. Visa will not be further extended. But the graduates may switch to skilled workers in the country.
- International students entering the country in the year 2020-21 will be eligible for this route. However, students whose Tier 4 visa expires before introducing the route will no longer be eligible for the Graduate route.
- International students may require an in-country application, pay the application fee, and an Immigration Health Surcharge.
- Only Doctoral Ph.D. students are eligible for three years to stay back.
If you are planning to study in UK and need any assistance, contact our experts at email@example.com